Welcome to the Unofficial Snooker Rules site.
Here in Canada, we don't have access to the excellent referee associations available outside North America, As a result, qualified referees in this country are few and far between, and snooker played here is usually played to rules that qualified referees would find lamentable. Very few players know the rules, and fewer are competent to interpret situations on the table and make the correct call.
Kevin Patrick, our Head Referee here in Canada has formed an organization called R.A.C.C.S. to try to change this situation and encourage the game to be played properly.
As one of the referees in Canada, my goal with this site is to help him by spreading a better understanding of the game and its equipment, so that Snooker will be played by the rules even if a qualified referee is not available.
Perhaps I will encourage more players to become referees. I hope so.
Here you will find:
- The official rules
- An explanation of recent changes to the rules
- A guide for referees and would-be referees on how to be a good one
- A series of quizzes to test your knowledge of the rules
- A detailed explanation of the rules most commonly misunderstood
- Some notes about the equipment we use
- Some videos highlighting the Referees world